Kellerberrin's Black Ant Art Gallery was overflowing for the official opening of the 2019 Wheatbelt Art Prize on Friday, November 1 with artists, locals and sponsors mingling and enjoying over 150 pieces of local art on] display.
Host, Nationals WA leader Mia Davies said she was delighted with the turnout and the quality of artwork entered.
"The creativity, imagination and enthusiasm with which our Wheatbelt artists embrace this event is wonderful," Ms Davies said.
"Arts play a significant and often underestimated role in maintaining vibrant, well balanced regional communities."
Agriculture Region MP Martin Aldridge , who MCed the event, said that culture and the arts were vital to regional communities, and formed an essential part of our social fabric, sense of being and cultural identity.
Kellerberrin artist Robert McCaffrey won the major prize of $3500 for a work titled 'Recycled Luxe', a gown made from plastic shopping bags.
Other award winners announced on the night were:
- 'Notes for an Angus Bull', by Den Scheer - Works on Paper
- 'Flowers for Margaret', by Aaron Eacott - Works on Canvas
- 'Recycled Luxe', by Robert McCaffrey - Works on any other Medium
- 'Nature's Crowning Glory', by Laura Appleton - Textiles
- 'Energies & Vibrations', by Anne Ashman - Sculpture & 3D
- 'Muted Bloom', by Steph Chapman - Photography Open Theme
- 'Standing Tall', by Jenny Utting - Photography Collgar Wind Farm Theme
The People's Choice Award, voted by those in attendance on the night, went to local Kellerberrin artist Lee'Anne Innes for her work titled 'Kooljaman - Cape Leveque'.
Ms Davies said it was a pleasure to create and host an event to showcase the talent of artists living in the electorate of Central Wheatbelt.
"The event has expanded over the years and it's wonderful to see artists entering from all over the electorate, Boddington, Northam, Quairading, Kellerberrin, Merredin, Wongan Hills and everywhere in between," she said.
"My thanks go to the generous sponsors for the category prizes, and to those that came along to celebrate with the artists on the night."