A group of Wheatbelt and Avon Valley firefighters have been recognised by their peers for their efforts during the Waroona fire in 2016.
More than 130 vollunteer and career firefighters, and Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) staff from around the state were given a Meritorious Service Award, as nominated by their peers.
Twenty-four men and women from the Wheatbelt were awarded the honours, with DFES staff member Torben Bendsten receiving DFES' highest award, a Certificate of Commendation, for performin a significant act of bravery in a perilous situation.
Recipients were nominated by their peers, and were presented with their Meritorious Service Awards at regionally based ceremonies throughout August.
Commendation and Distinction award winners from Avon Valley, Northam and Wheatbelt
Certificate of Distinction
- Area Officer Murray McBride - DFES
- Will Hort - Toodyay Central BFB
- Craig Stewart - Shire of Toodyay
- Matthew Bartels - Toodyay Central BFB
- Dieter Bartels - Shire of Toodyay
- Warrick McGregor - York VFES
- Darren Carroll - York VFES
- Brady Anderson - Shire of Goomalling
- Nathan Beck - Goomalling VFRS
- Marcus Trauseld - Mt Helena BFB
- Campbell Jones - Wyalkatchem VFRS
- James Butcher - Dalwallinu
- Aaron Mills - Shire of Dalwallinu
- Shaun Fitzsimons - Buntine BFB
- Daniel Birleson - Shire Cunderdin
- Greg Richards - South Caroling BFB
- Neil Carrothers - Clackline / Muresk BFB
- Christopher Marris - Grass Valley BFB
- Peter Barnes - Trayning VFES
- Jarrod Hood - Ballidu VFES
- Aimee Hood - Ballidu VFES
- Graeme Lyon - Ballidu VFES
- Justin Corrigan - Shire of York (DFES)
Emergency services minister Francis Logan said recipients should be proud of their efforts.
"The recipients carried out their duties to the highest degree, showing great dedication and bravery in the face of unimaginable conditions and immense challenges," he said.
"More than three years have passed, but their efforts are still in the minds of the people who worked alongside them, and the individuals they helped protect.
"The recipients were nominated by their peers because they stood out to them and to the communities they serve.
"Their efforts are very much appreciated."
Anyone wanting to nominate an individual, brigade, group or unit for their service during the Waroona fire or any other past incident, should contact email@example.com