York house fire sparked by faulty equipment

A house has been damaged in York on Thursday night, after a fire started from what was believed to be faulty equipment.

The owner of the property, near the intersection of Panmure Street and Mount Street, alerted emergency services of the fire just after 6.30pm with crews from York, Northam and Beverley attending.

The fire was contained in the roof space by 7.45pm with crews departing the scene at 8.20pm.

The damage dollar estimate is not known at this time.

The cause of the fire is believed to be malfunctioning equipment.

The incident follows a power outage in the town that saw more than 1600 properties without services from 6.30pm on Thursday.

More than 80 homes are still without power, with Western Power estimating resumed services at 1pm on Friday.